We were going to have steak tonight and watch the Cubbies play (who couldn't extend their streak to 10 in a row), but as Shawn opened our yummy steaks a fly flew out of the package - ewww!! Just another reason not to eat red meat - even organic meat. So we will be eating BBQ chicken instead.
Today I saw a cool surgery - an ACL reconstruction with an autograft. So the pt had a torn ACL and meniscus, so the surgery started out like a scope, then the anterior (front) of the knee was cut open very carefully, and then the middle third of the patellar tendon was harvested with a small chunk of tibia on one end and a little piece of patella on the other. The graft is manipulated and drilled for the suture in each end while the drill holes are made in the tibia and femur. A guide wire technique is used to thread the graft into place to form the new ACL and then is anchored in with screws. Here's two links to give a better idea: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/08/01/health/100230Anteriorcruciateligamentrepairseries_index.html
http://www.emedx.com/video/VideoPages/ACL%20Surgery.htm (video)
I found out today that one of my rotations has already changed. I was suppose to be in TX for 3 months for back to back rotations and now I will be in TX then ID. IDAHO??! So bummed as I am since I practically had all the logistics settled for being in TX for 3mo then KS for 3mo, I am trying to look at the bright side of things. I will only be 61/2 hours from Shawn so I can see him every other weekend instead of only once or twice in TX. This will also be good for the doggies. So, that being said, I am bummed b/c I have heard that the rotation I would have had in TX was awesome, and now I have to rethink logistics but I will be closer to home, so yay! Hopefully none of my other rotations will flip flop on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment