So a quick post about today. I am really behind on Typhon, just haven't felt like doing it, it's a pain or perhaps I just miss the days of my ortho rotation trying to put in 50pts per day (haha NOT). So the chick with questionable chest Xray, the one who I did the kindergarten-style Spanih H&P on came back for her PPD reading umm, 3.5X5cm at least and raised at least 1-2cm, yeah I would call that a positive test although the Radiologist seemed to have missed the glaring cavitary lesions on the CXR, but anyhow the patient was sent directly (with mask) to the hospital to be admitted and sequestered in full isolation and she was labeled as a (and I quote) "hot suspect," she may not have pulmonary TB, but there's something whack going on there, her house will soon be visited by the Washington county health department and checked too. In other news I did an H&P on a elderly priest - there is just something awkward about asking a Priest about bowel and bladder habits, luckily I remembered I didn't have to ask the sex questions - boy would that have been embarrassing, especially since he was wearing his collar. And on the final note of my day, my last patient walked out after my exam in tears - she didn't even stick around for the doc to see her (the doc was seeing the little sister who at a very young age has such rotten teeth from poor diet is having oral surgery to remove most of them). This pt who was not even old enough to drive, who started having sex before she was a teenager and is HPV + and has already had a colpo was the most defiant person I have ever met. I tried the gentle approach to her abdominal pain and quickly moved to a more direct approach when she told me I could go f-myself with the rest of the world, because she just doesn't care. So although I thought I was making headway to dx what I thought may certainly be PID or ovarian cyst and had her agreeing to give a UPT since her LMP was unknown and tender breasts. So I went to report to my preceptor and suddenly her mom went into her room and next thing we know they're leaving. Some words were exchanged with them and the doc and then he politely tells her "um have a nice life." I guess the lesson learned here was that at this age it's hard to convince them 1.that HPV is sexually transmitted, not something you get from drinking beer from the same cup, 2. it is possible to get HIV and other STDs even if you're not in college 3.UTIs every other week is not normal and 4. having promiscuous unprotected sex (among other things) aren't healthy choices.
My apologies for the slight ranting in this post...hasn't happened for awhile.
1 comment:
Maybe if mom had put an IRFD on her daughter, she'd know where these things keep happening at.
Awesome.
Post a Comment