Rainy, sunny, cool, warm, HOT! What a range of extremes, although being from the midwest this isn't anything special, but out here, when it's hot it's hot, and with no AC it's tome to do anything to stay cool. Cubby has survived one AC-less summer with highs of 110-112, but little Wrigs is still adjusting - at least she has white fur, but then again that just makes her prone to sunburn so thank goodness for puppy sun block. Speaking of sunburn - it's really easy to do out here, it Can be a warm 80 here and partly cloudy and still manage to burn. Yesterday it was hot, like 85 degrees and today I enjoyed the afternoon off at the pool in a cool 96 degrees. One day we will have a yard and a kiddie pool so the dogs (and kids one day) will enjoy the water too. Shawn and I were only outside for about an hour, and Shawn was a little medium rare from the day before - but that short 60min was enough to make me a little rare too. I think Shawn is glad he is working nights for a couple more shifts during this unusual May heatwave, although it's still warm he doesn't have to haul people in the blazing heat ( I don't think the snazzy looking uniform gives much breathability).
Today I had an abbreviated day in clinic. I was suppose to round with my doc before clinic this morning (I more or less pleaded that I wanted to round with him). We were to meet at 8am. So I arrived just after 7:30 so I could do a little chart review before the Dr. arrived at 8am. But as it turns out, it's shift change for the nurses, so no one want to help me find my pt's chart, and since it's not time for Dr. to be their yet I just stand against the wall and wait. I see my pt's name on the wall and just peek my head in and say hello. We (hahaha, not me, I just watched, but I was a good watcher) did a total knee on her on Tuesday. We chatted a bit about how everything is going only to find out that the Dr. was in to see her about 15min ago...hmmm, is she confused (she was a little on the loopy side) she also had to potty. So I finally tracked down the nurse (it's 8am now - the appointed rounding time) and asked if the Dr. had been in - yep he had, about 7:30, I let her know my pt has to use the restroom and she reluctantly tells me she'll get around to taking my pt to the bathroom. realizing I have pts in the clinic in 15min and I seem to easily get lost I trek back to the clinic to find the Dr. there on the phone, he tells me oh I got up a little early and went without you. I was so upset! I had actually been at the hospital since 7am, and I was watching for his car which he parks in a loading only zone but never saw it. There is no one in the office until 7:15, which is when I drop my bag off in the office, so my question is, did he purposely go without me or did he really just want to get it done? Who knows. We only saw about 20 pts today between 8:15 to 11:15. I got to put more bandaids on, pull the xrays and MRIs off the light box in the room and oh yes I even got to hand out a pre written prescription for naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) and prescriptions for PT. whoo. (unenthusiatically). II had a couple pts today who scoffed at the thought of me going through PA school with remarks such as "oh so you're a glorified medical assistant" and "what a waste to not go through medical school and become a physician" As the head penguin in Madagascar would say: Smile and wave boys, smile and wave - and that's basically what I did.
On a side note, American Gladiators is relatively entertaining, especially since one of the new gladiators is from OR, but I just realized that although the gladiators and contenders are of great physical prowess (and Helga is just plain scary), the referee is a little on the tubby side, seems like they would have chosen someone a little more athletic looking, but I guess it just shows a better contrast...I don't know, just made me chuckle. And the new eliminator is awesome and tougher!
1 comment:
Sorry to hear your ortho rotation is turning out to be a bust. Has anyone had a good one?? Mine was so-so. Got beat up pretty bad in the OR. Ouch.
20 pts in the AM!!!! Holy Crap! That's more than we see in a day in internal med where I am now.
Hope things improve. Too bad they don't tap your talent and put it to work.
Post a Comment