Here we go - the final stretch. I'm so excited!! Staying with my grandma has been a wonderful and eye opening experience. I have a whole other appreciation for families that are taking care of an elderly member. I am exhausted making three meals a day, plus clinic and homework. I was here for her during her knee replacement which was great and she helped cut down on my expenses tremendously which I do feel a little guilty for since she's on a fixed social security income. Bless her. I've sewed and spent time with my mom too which living so far from everyone has been wonderful.
I'm ready to move on from family medicine. I think family medicine could be for me, knowing I could do more than I did as a student but I didn't make any decisions in the last 12 weeks so maybe not. I'm nervous about moving on to peds next week, I feel like I haven't done enough in the last 12 weeks to be prepared. I will be on my own the first day, the clinic called to tell me I had my own list of patients to see after spending the 1st hour with the office NP since my preceptor will be out of town. I was given the option to not come in, but I will be using that for leverage that first week so I think it will all play in my favor.
But before I put my mind into the next rotation I have to stay focused this week - hard to do for multiple reasons - but more to come of that later in a couple weeks.
I'm holding on to my ace in the hole....
I was going to help with another doc's delivery on Friday - I got a call at 3:14am saying she was ready to push. I jumped up threw on clothes while I pottied and sped to the hospital, ran up to L&D made it there by 3:24 and already heard the cry of the newborn. The RN popped out of the room and said everything's done, nothing to see now. So I left about 15min later - there's nothing worse than walking in postpartum while the doc is sewing up a 4th degree tear so I didn't even go in.
So here I go, 5 days. I was on call this weekend so really only 4 1/2 days, since I don't go in until 1pm tomorrow - oh and let's not forget my scheduled 1/2 day on Wed. YAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment