
I never thought I would have to send the clinical team a warning that I might have to miss a couple days of clinic due to a hurricane. Well it won't be a direct hit where I am, but apparently we will most likely get some very nasty rain, wind and flooding. They have closed the schools down in the past for this terrible weather. My family stockpiled food, canned goods, bottled water, batteries and anything else they thought was necessary in case we are house bound for a few days. I really can't see how this will be all that bad where I am and maybe since I have forewarned the clinical team back in OR and my mom and of course my hubby that I may be out of touch for a bit, nothing will happen and Tuesday, bright and early I will be headed to prison as usual. (In the picture - I work in Humble and live south of I-90 by Baytown)
Did I mention we also filled all the cars with gas? Apparently the first things to disappear with a storm like this are bottled water, gas and ATM access. I think the news left out the part how people's common sense disappears too. Here is my gas station story (watered down version).
Went up the street to fill the miata up, I use my debit card, pick up the nozzle, press the grade of fuel I desire and before I even get the nozzle into the car, the numbers start going up. Puzzled, I hang up the nozzle and press the help button as my receipt prints. "Um, no gas came out and yet the numbers went up" I tell the voice on the other end. "Try another pump" I'm told. "Yeah, but I was charged for gas I didn't receive." I reply. "Not my problem, try another pump." Like hell I'm going to try another pump I thought, so I drove down the road a bit turned around with no gas station in sight and stopped again at the same station. This time, no gas, no charge. I asked what the trick was to using the pump because no gas was coming out (Until moving to the NW I had pumped my own gas for nearly 10 years and am quite familiar with how to operate a gas pump). "Must be operator error" echos the voice. After peeling out of the gas station, I drive 15min in the opposite direction to another gas station. Upon approach I could see it was really busy, must be all the Louisiana residents coming off I-10 to fill up. I pull behind a lady in her truck. It is sweltering hot, the AC isn't blowing cool air when I am just sitting in park. Long story short, turns out the lady in front of me decides to wash her Ford F350 with a squeegee, I am blocked in at every possible angle by a truck, a trailer or a truck with a trailer, thanks to the hurricane zoo at the gas station. I'm stuck. I'm getting impatient - I've been here 20mins. I'm really hot, sweat is pooling on the leather seats and the lady, squeegee in hand, waves at me. You've got to be kidding me. Get me out of TX now before I go postal (oh no, that wasn't in TX, they have psycho cheer moms down here) So get me out of here before I go "cheer mom."
After a few more incidents I finally got my gas. I was gone so long that my family called me to make sure I was ok, still alive and not lost. That was very thoughtful of them.
Bring your glory Gustav!
Went up the street to fill the miata up, I use my debit card, pick up the nozzle, press the grade of fuel I desire and before I even get the nozzle into the car, the numbers start going up. Puzzled, I hang up the nozzle and press the help button as my receipt prints. "Um, no gas came out and yet the numbers went up" I tell the voice on the other end. "Try another pump" I'm told. "Yeah, but I was charged for gas I didn't receive." I reply. "Not my problem, try another pump." Like hell I'm going to try another pump I thought, so I drove down the road a bit turned around with no gas station in sight and stopped again at the same station. This time, no gas, no charge. I asked what the trick was to using the pump because no gas was coming out (Until moving to the NW I had pumped my own gas for nearly 10 years and am quite familiar with how to operate a gas pump). "Must be operator error" echos the voice. After peeling out of the gas station, I drive 15min in the opposite direction to another gas station. Upon approach I could see it was really busy, must be all the Louisiana residents coming off I-10 to fill up. I pull behind a lady in her truck. It is sweltering hot, the AC isn't blowing cool air when I am just sitting in park. Long story short, turns out the lady in front of me decides to wash her Ford F350 with a squeegee, I am blocked in at every possible angle by a truck, a trailer or a truck with a trailer, thanks to the hurricane zoo at the gas station. I'm stuck. I'm getting impatient - I've been here 20mins. I'm really hot, sweat is pooling on the leather seats and the lady, squeegee in hand, waves at me. You've got to be kidding me. Get me out of TX now before I go postal (oh no, that wasn't in TX, they have psycho cheer moms down here) So get me out of here before I go "cheer mom."
After a few more incidents I finally got my gas. I was gone so long that my family called me to make sure I was ok, still alive and not lost. That was very thoughtful of them.
Bring your glory Gustav!
No comments:
Post a Comment