Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time Traveler

Well it is time to test my abilities to journal more frequently with more pertinent information for basically the next year of my life. The last 3 months have just been a warm-up, so let's play blog!

I am beginning the next chapter in my clinical rotation journey - the one I have been dreading and secretly hoping was missing from the book known as the clinical year. I am off to enjoy the next 6 weeks in a state prison in TX - hopefully the warden will let me go in 6weeks for good behavior so I can excitedly move on to start a rotation in Idaho. I will spare the details of one of the most emotional departures in history as I said farewell to Shawn. Let's just say that the tears and sobbing, although very characteristic for me when I have to bid adieu to my best friend, soul mate and love of my life, today the waterworks seemed so much worse. As I was boarding the plane with my tear and mascara stained face the lady taking tickets asked me if I was going to be ok to fly. I boarded, buckled my seat belt and snuggled into a good book - the correctional managed care manual.

I left this morning at 7:45 from PDX and am now sitting in the SkyHarbor C terminal waiting for the next 3 hours before my next flight to Hobby airport in Houston TX. The first leg of the flight was relatively uneventful. The usual people who go to the airport completely unprepared and people who can't count to 60 to stand in numerical order to board the plane. I like flying into Phoenix because you fly up above you can really see the intricate and meticulously placed grid of homes and roads. I'm kind of fascinated by it actually. It was a cool 92 degrees here at 10:20 when I arrived this morning, thank goodness the airport's air conditioner is working. I am sitting at a comfy little station typing away and people watching. I wish I could take pictures of some of the interesting people I can see around me. Approximately 75% of the people in the C16 area are Latino, and the only language I can hear is Spanish, so perhaps the next flight from here is to Mexico, with a stop or two in between (it's actually to El Paso, so close enough). Another group of 3 girls and 3 liaison ladies spark my interest. Two of the girls, both under the age of 7 have bilateral leg casts in bright colors. One has a walker to ambulate with her short leg casts, the other in a wheelchair with bilateral leg casts - she's carrying a doll with identical purple leg casts. The third girl, is older, perhaps 13-17 and has a short cast on just one leg. My first thoughts on seeing this - is she on oral contraceptives, have a recent surgery or smoke because she should really makes sure she moves around during the flight. One other interesting scene is the older lady, perhaps 55 waiting with her tawdry sequence bag and stiletto heels and newly purchased DVD player whom no one wants to sit next to. I have seen 4 or 5 other people sit next to her waiting to board and within a minute of two and some brief conversation have promptly relocated to the other side of the waiting area. These people's flight is about to board, and I wonder who will be lucky enough to sit next to her - there are only so many places you can relocate to on a plane.

Tejas, here I come!

Oh and on a side note, I managed to smuggle chapsticka nd lip gloss, not in a clear plastic baggy through security - this was an accidental happening - I found them in my bookbag. I'm sure this will catch up with me later and somewhere at sometime I will be privelged to experience the airport security's personal pat down service.

No comments: