Monday, December 1, 2008

Wanna take it for a test drive?

I wasn't really anxious for today to start, after all, it's the Monday following a holiday weekend, and I am still in the really lonely, when is 3 weeks up kind of mood when it comes to my husband.

I rolled in and saw a couple patients and as I walked out of one room I was met with a "ready to go?" I quickly searched my mind of where I was suppose to go and I remembered oh yes, off to watch a colonoscopy. I thought we were just walking across the street to the hospital so I only grabbed my sweater and white coat. Nope I was wrong - off to the surgery center across town. The surgery center may be small with only 3 ORs, but very functional - in fact they even have a total joint room and do one or two a day. Anyway after I found the small locker room which really was no bigger than a small room (you walk in and can't avoid but seeing someone changing - there's no way to hide.) I put on my adorable scrubs - seriously super cute stylish light blue pants with a light blue top with brown red and blue circle patterns I walked out to the lounge which looked like a small coffee room. I wasn't anticipating doing much but hovering and maybe practicing my stellar scrubbing skills. We said hello to the patient and waited some more. I listened as one of the anesthesiologist ranted about how we PAs and NPs are over stepping our boundaries (he complained mostly of the WSU students - the big PA program in KS just 2 1/2 hrs away whom he use to take students but some were too stupid he sent them back I secretly hoped he wasn't our anesthesiologist and wouldn't pimp me right there and then - and he wasn't and didn't) after nearly an hour of listening as to why PA programs shouldn't be master's programs and why PA programs should only accept the number of students that can be placed in jobs in that state or students applying should commit one year to a truly underserved population before being accepted it was time to go. I thought we were just walking into the room to make sure things were set up correctly but turns out it was the real deal. No scrubbing in, no sterile gloves, no face masks (being my 1st colonoscopy maybe I'm just to sterile-minded for this type of thing) I just went with the flow and remembered to double glove. After my stellar prostate exam it was scope time. The doc I was with is a partner of my preceptor he steered and maneuvered and biopsied two small polyps. we made it all the way to the end and with no scope left he looked at me and asked "wanna take it for a test drive? " Um, yes please! I had no clue what I was doing and I quickly realized my dexterity and lack of video game playing as a kid was going to be a hindrance to the process of backing the scope out the exit only spot (which was marked as such by the patient prior to surgery - gave everyone a chuckle, especially since he woke up part way through the procedure and made some comment about it and how he was going hunting in 15minutes.) I did ok minus the suction polyp I created which was creatively named a Jennifer polyp (that's how it was labeled on the picture). Could have been worse I suppose, I could have perforated the bowel. After sadly leaving the cute scrubs behind and eating a delicious catered chili lunch the surgery center was serving it was back to clinic where I almost got to remove...wait for it.... this is good... probably won't see this again.... a third nipple from the midaxillary region about half way down the chest(or medically an accessory nipple). I think my preceptor thought I had already had too much fun with the other doc for the day and was jealous and so he did the excision himself, but I got to watch at least and called dibs on the next accessory nipple that comes along.

On a side note:
I hate overweight patients who think there should be a pill to kill obesity because exercise is just too much work.

So overall for a Monday it was pretty good.
Anyone want to go to Ohio in my place? I am serisously done with being away from home.

No comments: