Monday, June 29, 2009

Ecuador Arrival and orientation

Not what I expected, but then again what did I expect. A strange mix of urbanized developed and modern neighborhood without modern conveniences like hot water (but do have internet) mixed with stucco, iron and tin roofs in the adjacent city. Arrived late to Guayaquil, made it to bed at about 1am to be up early for orientation. Had to dawn surgical masks to enter the country... and had a thermal picture taken (incase I was hiding that H1N1 flu in my pocket)
Going to be a long 6 wks with lots of PANCE studying. Can't contact the US as of right now by phone - not gonna lie this is the worst part - ever.
Start clinic on Wed. woot? Nervous about this.
Orientation: bus trip (with AC that was colder than my car at home) to Valdivia, a beach city. Stayed at an Eco lodge (not to be confused with Econo lodge as I misread the orientation email.)Saw some whales in the ocean, after a 2hr sea-sickening boat ride. Saw the beginnings of how they make panama hats - paya toquilla which means straw. (hats aren't actually made in panama) The workers make only a about a dollar a day despite a full days work from 4:30am until whenever they finish in the late late afternoon. Stayed in a cabana on a cliff above the beach... where Nancy experienced smoking and sparks from the small water heater above the shower - she gave us play by play, it was pretty funny actually. Consequently I did not have a hot or warm shower the next day. Also experienced mosquito netting and sleeping on a bamboo bed (there was a small matress but couldn't tell). Good taste of costal food - not a fan of cerviches, good to know. No sunset due to clouds, but a quick walk on the beach, with a scary hike up and down a cliff with makeshift stairs and railing, was nice. Found some great shells. Apparently Ecuador is the main exporter (or the exporter) of banans since they banned unions... I think I have heard other countries being the largest banana exporter too. hmmm

1 comment:

Sunnishine said...

Go to the mall and use the phones they are cheap. I called home every day. Or you can buy a cheap cell phone and get someone from home to call you on it. It's free for you and cheap for them if they buy a calling plan.