Today we took a tour of "subcentro" the clinic, which techinically does not qualify to be called a clinic as it only provides the most basic of care, has 2 exam rooms, one of which is a gyn room a small pharmacy and a dental area oh and a small lab - for very basic screenings. Dr. Montero seems nice, he speaks really fast but I think the blank stares on our faces helped him realize he needed to slow down, and he did. We will also be going to area schools and to the neighborhood homes to do routine health checks. We take 2 buses to get there, bus to Santa Anita to terminal then bus 122 and get off at the San marcos pharmacia near the jardin de esperanza ( a well known cemetary) tomorrow we will be taking a taxi to unload our medical supplies. Should be interesting and keep us busy. I'm just glad I speak a little spanish and understand the rest.
Tonight we start Medical Spanish but will get together after almuerza (lunch) to study for pance. woot.
The best part of the day: I talked to Shawn for 20minutes this morning. WOOHOO! It was hard to say goodbye, but I had to go to school. We aren't people who can go days without speaking, it's just not how we run. I know this trip will be the hardest on us but in the end I know there will be good from it. I realized today the importance of emersion to learn a language. Classes are great but I am a learn by doing, so this will help me tremendously, which is one of the whole points of me being here, so far away from my Shawnee.
Other interesting things: 1. yesterday I was nappnig despues almuerzo (after lunch) and I awoke to a rattling and the rabbit ears on the the broken tv falling to the floor, all my seashells rattled on the table and onto the floor. Wasn't sure what happened but went back to sleep. It was the 4.5 earthquake that hit here, no big deal. so, slinical year: hurricane check! earthquake check! 2. We are just barely above sea level so they bury their dead likein New Orleans - above ground and have large ornate funeral processions.
Awkward moment of the day: while touring a highschool, in an enlgish class the teacher lined us up (in front of the 5th grade class) and says, who is the most pretty of them all? Who do you want to keep? WTF? They picked a girl that looked most like them with dark tan skin and dark brown hair, very very awkward moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment