Well, today, nearly 3 weeks into my rotation I had an entire day of seeing my own patients. 4 intakes - 2 of which were almost as complicated as they come and then I took 2 sick calls neither of which were super brain pickers, but navigating the formulary and the computer is enough! Sure I made a few mistakes on coding due partly to the fact that no one told me I had to go through a whole different area to input a new diagnosis- but I think I did alright considering how steep the learning curve is for the damn computer system. I saw 6 patients in about 6 hours. It sounds like I didn't do much, but between finding things on the computer and double checking with 3 different people on the labs to order and looking things up in the formulary I got a lot done today. The important thing is I am seeing all my own patients now - well at least when there is an open office/computer. Otherwise I observe while I sit in my designated orange rollie chair labeled ZUPFER on the back. Yeah that's right - that' s my orange rollie you silly nurses so quit stealing it!
I also saw the most wicked abscess in someones armpit today, I watched this one get drained and packed - I get to do the next one. It spurted everywhere!! There was a huge crowd too - although one of the female guards nearly fainted as the chunks poured out.
Good news for me - Shawn finally got a computer. So we have another means of conversation and entertainment for his sake - if he has time - the silly boy is working 8days straight. Gosh I miss him so much and the kidlets too. But, after this week, only three more weeks...so close, I can almost count days.
No comments:
Post a Comment