I received my first compliment from my preceptor today: "You write a good note"
YAY! Victory for Jenni. I think complimenting me may have been too much for her, because she sent me home after lunch since we had no more patients. Usually I watch someone do backdoor paperwork and review lab tests when there are no more patients. Too bad I'm not at home for these half-day miracles I could be playing golf with Shawn! Although Dr. M did send me home with one little caveat - work on my presentation. So I probably should do that. I also have to make a fruit salad for work tomorrow, I was invited to the staff pot-luck, I guess I received enough votes from the staff to attend, so yay! Which makes me remember that I won't be giving my presentation tomorrow afterall, since there is a luncheon. Hmmm. Nope better prepare just in case.
I would also like to mention that I gave a lot of education today to the patients I saw today. It was incredibly rewarding. I spent almost 30minutes with one patient talking about HIV and hepatitis. I felt reassured that I had done my job both as an educator for these diseases, but also for what he was being seen for as I made him repeat back to me his understanding of everything I had talked about. All the information was there. There is something about giving people information to improve their lives and then to see the light bulb go on when a patient "gets it" or figures it out a little - even if this pt is a convicted inmate. Oh the other side of the coin, I am slowly learning that it's ok to stop pushing for people to take control of their healthcare and not feel like I have to save everyone I see, it's their choice and future choices. I can give them the tools and resources but ultimately it's up to them. In some respect, that's why we have natural selection, too bad that can't kick in sooner for some populations.
1 comment:
I'm diggin your style JZ. I'm also hoping that the sum of my prison learning is from reading your blog and not being there in person. Way to take one for the team for me.
--ec
Post a Comment