Well, Gustav never showed, here any way. Which is a good thing I suppose. I admittedly was looking forward to a potential extra day off, but even just thinking about that extra day I'm sure steered Gustav to Louisiana. We didn't even get rain yet (if ever).
Yesterday, I experienced something really neat. My family I am staying with has 3 kids, one who is a couple years younger than me and she's married, a HS senior who is never here due to football practice and a girlfriend and a HS freshman in need of new shoes for school. Like any non-girly girl (I can totally relate) shopping isn't really her thing. She also has a very unique-goth-ish style. She and her mom had already been shopping earlier in the day with no luck - at all. I think someone may have even gotten tired of being at the mall, but I wasn't there to say that's a fact. I recommend a new store in town (Kohl's - which is one of my favorites!) to check for canvas-type or more rocker-type shoes. There was a lot of pessimism in the car as we drove 15minutes to the next town. Not a whole lot of luck at first, but then she found a pair of Vans with some interesting designs on them. I tried not to hover and give her space. I went my separate way and eventually we met up in the juniors department, I saw her mom had picked out a few items. She went to try them on and out of nowhere I felt this compulsion to look for clothes (in her style) that I thought she might like, or maybe wouldn't have tried on had they not been picked out for her. I found some really cool t-shirts and a couple outer pieces. I finally had to contain myself, this poor girl was cornered into a dressing room with some cousin throwing clothes at her from the other side of the door. I was really having fun. I guess I felt like I was a pseudo-sister for the hour that we were there. It was a good warm and fuzzy kind of feeling. (And she liked almost everything I picked out!! Blanca and Mereya both thanked me for helping).
I am really sad I don't have siblings or cousins that I grew up close to. It just seems like it would be so nice to do things with siblings or at least have them to talk to. I found growing up my stuffed animals didn't talk back, or miraculously said exactly what I wanted to hear.
The family I am staying with has been very hospitable and warm. I am so grateful to be staying with family!
No comments:
Post a Comment