I have this song in my head, thanks to my husband. It's probably a good thing I didn't go to clinic today because I doubt any of my patients or the docs would have appreciated my rendition of the song Paper Planes. Yesterday's clinic or rather hospital experience was interesting. One of my brain patients had a moment in the morning where he told everyone to put a gun to their heads and try to fly and it was our fault that the hospital didn't float. A little ativan and oxycodone and he was back to normal and he has no recollection of the event. The other brain patient is making some progress, a capped trach - he's on his way to recovery, it's just a question of how much of a recovery will be made. In the midst of writing my notes, 2 things happened. #1 I found that the resident extern is learning to write a note - this person actually asked me how to write up the ROS. It may just be me, but I thought they taught that in med school. Perhaps not. #2, another patient, not mine, who had been sitting pretty at a HR of 42 all morning decided to have a 15sec period of asystole, then knocked himself back up to the 50s and 60s. Um, pacemaker perhaps? I also rounded on a new admit for another doc, this pt's pretty simple: uncontrolled DM with retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy, partial midfoot amputation of one foot, and a recent horrible trimalleolar fracture of the other with ORIF, she is also on peritoneal dialysis and has a cardiac history. The nephrologist (this cute little old guy) had to come in to teach everyone about peritoneal dialysis - fairly interesting the inter workings. Thankfully I had read up about it shortly before he came in and was able to ask him about the prospect of the Toronto nocturnal heme dialysis being a more viable option for those who failed Peritoneal dialysis but did not care for the inconvenience of heme dialysis. We had an interesting discussion and the other docs slowly walked away from the immediate area - seems they had been pimped by the nephrologist and failed before I happened upon the learning session.
Nothing much else is new. I am slowly preparing myself for my next rotation which will be quite a change from anything else I have done thus far. I am relishing every moment with my husband and the pups knowing the next 6 weeks will fly by all too quickly. Once I leave this time, I don't know when I will be coming home - holidays maybe, but doubtful. KS X 12wks, IA X 6wks, OH X 6wks, then home again for 6wks until I head to Ecuador for the last 6 wks. I am actually having 2nd thoughts about this Ecuador business. Interesting opportunity but just not sure I want to spend the extra money to be so far from home.
Here's a link so you too can have this great little ditty in your head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g
No comments:
Post a Comment