Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bored on the floor

Well, I have survived 2 days with Dr. "I hate PAs" and I actually feel bad for calling him that for now, so I will have to think of a new name. He's been ridiculously nice to me. He actually showed genuine concern and (gulp) compassion towards my TX endeavor. He's asked a few questions I didn't quite know, but he didn't make me feel all that stupid for not knowing them. I even heard him crack some jokes today and have some inflections in his otherwise monotone voice. Sure he still throws out info to make him look like a super smart doc and me a lowly stupid PA, but really not as bad as I thought. The PA, well he's God's gift to the PA and medical profession. He threw a few things at me, that I don't know anyone would know unless they just recently read about the EXACT mechanism for prednisone action and its effect in developing PCP. But after answering a few more routine questions, presenting 3 patients and writing some stellar reports he hasn't bothered me much since. In fact, I am completely on my own, rounding on patients and writing notes. My three patients are on autopilot basically but they all have something unique to offer. I got a new Admit that Dr"need a new name" asked me to admit and write an H&P. Talk about the longest note I've written - almost 5 pages. Quick rundown of info of this new pt. under 40 male, PMH of DVT that lead to massive PE, had clot in PFO (patent foramen ovale), ended up having open heart to remove clot and fix PFO - coded with Vfib arrest CPR for 10min, saved, suffered anoxic brain injury and now basically non functioning. He has a trach, PEG tube and likes to pull things out so he's in restraints, he follows commands - some of the time, but completely nonverbal, especially now since we took out his PassyMuir valve on his trach. 22 medications. Probably the most difficult Neuro exam I've ever done - trying to figure out if receptive or expressive aphasia or both or to what extent the damage is. Keeps it interesting.

As I was leaving today, I had a brief conversation with the PA, basically, I am welcome back anytime b/c I have good notes, and have done a good job and been a great help since I came - yesterday. Dr. Patomd (that name will stick for awhile) told me to come back whenever I need to if I need hours b/c "it will keep you out of those clinics which can be really boring" Hmmm, glad I chose not to tell him how bored I was rounding and writing notes - despite the incredibly interesting patients. Oddly enough I miss prison medicine. I wonder how my secondary syphilis guy is doing or how the unknown etiology rashes are and if any of my other mixed pot patients had more interesting pathology.

Oh and in family news - we bought a new (to us) car - a 2006 Jeep cherokee Laredo with 18,000miles. Coincidentally we found out after the purchase (because we were too enamored with the price and mileage and immaculate condition of the car)that it has a V8 and nearly every bell and whistle that possible on that model. Heated seats, mp3 player, trail rated everything! Holy cow! I am so proud of Shawn for working so hard to make it happen and so soon! It's so cool to know that when we have kids, it will be this first car they ride in and will come home strapped in their carseat in the first car we've ever really owned. I feel so grown up.



No comments: