The Chicago Cubs - that's our team - our only team. Last night's performance was typical Cubs fashion in the post season. we had high hopes for them this year (like every year)- like World Series hopes. I',m bummed I will miss the game because of my rotation - after last night I feel the post season is more important than my rotation. Tonight may the Cubs' bats be swift, gloves solid and balls plentiful.
Last night was ridiculously peaceful (I learned quick as a medic that you just don't say the Q word). i really didn't get to do much, and to be perfectly honest I am really tired of being rectal girl. Whenever I ask questions someone does whatever it is for me - which is really annoying. For example, for a non ICU trauma admit (stable old compression fx - old lady fell in shower on cruise ship) what are some of the guidelines you follow for admission orders? Instead of explaining this the paper is taken from me and completed for me, as if I couldn't put pen to paper myself. I am also already annoyed with the phrase "I will call you if I need you" which basically means find something for myself to do until whenever. I have not had the motivation to study during this down time - I even closed my lazy eyes last night fro an hour or two since I had to stay late for trauma conference where one of the trauma surgeons actually asked what JNC7 was - typical surgeon - out of touch with the root of medicine. I did get to do a couple sutures on one trauma's chin - only problem, he was very sleepy and kept moving his head and arm that was also being stitched, but in the end with two stitches his chin was closed, you couldn't even tell he'd been cut (thanks to dark skin and dark facial hair). Who knows what tonight will bring. I am hoping another PA is on tonight.
I'm bummed about this rotation in reality so let me vent about that for a bit. I loved my job as a paramedic - there's something about the adrenaline rush that was invigorating. I took pride in my squad - keeping it pristinely clean and well stocked and did the same when working in the ER - I was also polite and tried to be helpful and gracious to everyone. Yesterday when I am looking in a patient's ear, I realize the otoscope is caked in dried blood from who knows when, as is the holder and surrounding tubing - UMMMM EWWWW GROSS!! This isn't the first time I've seen this either. I never seem to be in the right place when a patient needs to be moved - I'm told to always go for the feet (I think because I look small and petite) but then scolded by the nurses that I don't do anything to help them roll patients and am only in the way. Then there are the hours - I'm not a resident, in fact I'm not even in med school so these hours are somewhat representative of why I didn't go that route - I've hardly seen my husband (in passing as I come and he leaves) which may be fine for some, but I know I will be gone after this rotation until next April so I really want to suck in every moment I can with him. Lately I feel like my time is being wasted in this rotation, it's feeling an awful lot like the first rotation which I loved oh so much (please catch the sarcasm), plus there is little direction, only direction in what I've done wrong - I thrive on a little praise. Like the stitches I put in last night - no word of goodness, but everyone praised the resident for his 3 in the elbow. I know days will have some more structure, but I'll miss all the trauma calls and I hate in patient stuff - it gets boring to me, but keeping an open mind maybe this will be different.
GO CUBS GO!
No comments:
Post a Comment