Some nights are busy, and others you are just waiting for someone else to have a bad day for you to have a good one. I've had both those days lately. I am also reminded of how nurses (there are some good ones out there, so forgive this next bit), think they are the gift for healthcare and know way more than everyone else- which may be true in some areas, but when it comes to diganosing and making differentials they just don't cut it. Case in point - if the PA asks to be called if a drug isn't working in 15min, they should be called - not hear a "rapid response page overhead" which brings in the calvary (as if for a code or eminent emergency) an hour later, even though after the initial 15min it was evident the drug was not working - didn't feel like calling. I did everything not to laugh while the nursing supervisor as she repeatedly asked who the resident was as the PA repeatedly told her "I'm all you've got or you're looking at him or a simple finger point back to themselves and the PA's neck veins were so large at this point I could have darted it from across the room with an eye closed. Oh and I'm sorry but the classic line of "I'm the supervisor I can do what ever I want when I want" is such BS - if that were true then why have providers see the patient at all - her only concern was about how much nursing time had been spent I didn't hear one damn word about patient care in any of her rants - which was pointed out several times by the PA. Additionally, if a nurse is spending too much time with a patient or the patient's problems are ongoing and unchanging - 1. the nurse should actually know something about that patient(injuries, surgeries, NPO status), 2. someone should have been informed of the non changing status sooner. I guess some things never change.
I'm delirious I think and should try and rest the eyes for another 4 or 5 hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment