Monday, November 30, 2009
Rough 'n tumble Monday
Today was a rough day. 24 patients today seemed like a lot and it was a lot really - I sent the other 4 back to their cell to see them tomorrow (a perk of the job - sending them back to their cell when I run out of time). I started to feel the strain of how much I don't know - looking up a lot of things I know I actually have knowledge in but feeling inadequate. I came home and cried in Shawn's reassuring arms. I'm really wishing there would have been a training period - a real training period instead of a here - try this, see how you do and we'll try and answer questions as they come up...I am reading the blogs of my fellow former classmates now colleagues and reading their struggles and successes of their first few weeks, it reminds me that I'm not the only one who has gone thru this adjustment period. But tomorrow is another day, it's Tuesday, and wing night! yay! So chin up buttercup as Shawn would tell me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Jenni...at least you were able to hold off on crying until you got home from work - I was bawling on the nurse manager's shoulder my second day of seeing patients at a full pace. They didn't warn us how hard it would be, but I do promise that it gets better, quicker than you think. I mean, really, you started seeing patients how long ago??? You have to expect of yourself what you would reasonably expect of someone else in the same situation. You will be slow and imperfect!!! The important thing is how much you care and want to learn...that is the sign of a great provider.
don't worry.... we're all having those days. hang in there.
Post a Comment