Tuesday, May 5, 2009

home away from home

so, I have taken a hiatus from blogging - not that I haven't had any interesting patients - just not in to mood to write about it. And since I am nowhere close to home I can't write about family life - although shawn is a squad leader now with his own car. I am so super duper proud of him - bummer he has to work nights but hopefully he can upgrade to a better shift later.

I am loving OH! The rotation is ok, there are definitely preceptors here I like better than others, but the family I am staying with are probably the most wonderful random people I have ever met. They've taken me in, fed me, checked on me, been like a family away from family of sorts, not to mention Mary helping me on a quilt I am bound and determined to finish before I leave. Today they randomly got a 6wk puppy mut -she's so adorable and sitting in my lap as I type. She has no name but is already right at home with these loving folks. Even Molly doesn't totally dislike her and it kept Molly distracted enough today i don't think she growled at me once. I am really going to miss these people when I leave, they're like another set of parents or family to me.

In the ER front - lots of interesting things - mostly run of the mill, but I have finally gotten some good heart failure people and people with actual pathology to work up. I feel more comfortable though with the chest pains and the abdominal pains than I do with some of the more run of the mill stuff. Had lots of heroin ODs, almost one daily - but of course none of them have a drug problem and most of them do it for fun. Today was a super fun case that came in about 3hrs before the end of my shift. 70 something guy is in a deep sleep in the recliner - wife calls him "Harry get you're ass to bed" so he pops out of the recliner and heads to bed but somewhere in the middle from recliner to bedroom he falls in the kitchen. Wife hears thud - goes running to him he's out cold. This was Sunday morning. Now most people I think, if your spouse is out cold, for 5min as was this gentleman, you would call 911 or perhaps bring him to the ER when he came to - not the case. So today is Tues pm/Wed am and he comes in for rib pain and maybe some left sided neck pain. I suggest to the RN a collar (reverting back to my old paramedic days) and she reluctantly does it. He's neurologically in tact and although his neck is a little sore - probably from hitting the kitchen cabinet on the way down, his ribs and back are really killing him. Xrays come back - 4 right sided rib fractures. The ER was steady and busy tonight and hadn't really check on this guy's head and neck CT when the radiologist calls: unstable C2 fracture with intrusion into the neuro foramina - then the radiologist asks is this guy paralyzed or have any neuro deficits?" Holy cow batman - so after doing a quick syncope workup he was sent by squad to the trauma center - he is so very lucky to 1. be alive and 2. be alive and not paralyzed. (I won't delve into the mess of the paramedics coming to whisk him away what a total cluster - how the freak did they even become medics - but like I said not getting into it).
So there's my ineventful stories. I should be studying for boards - but not, should be applying for jobs but not, should be at home with my husband soon - will be.