Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Family Practice Musical

Wednesday is my half day, which, after yesterday was a good way to work back into the groove of things. I must have missed the sign outside that said "all who enter [the clinic] must sing a song." There were only 15 patients today but at least half of them were in a sing-songy mood not to mention the nurses who were singing to the radio on in their office. I walked in on two of my ladies singing to themselves, one of my older gentleman (78 to be exact) sang me a song his grandkids affectionately taught him to sing when he wears his "pimp hat" which ended with "I'm just a mother----in' PIMP" Nice I thought to myself, just what this old sailor needs to be singing while his wife sits at chemo - way to go grandkids. Another one of my patients (upper 70's too) sang me the song from Cinderella that Jack the mouse sings to Gus Gus (because he prefers to go by that name) "Cinderelly Cinderelly, night and day is Cinderelly, make the fire, fix the breakfast wash the dishes do the mopping..."

Had I known it was going to be musical day I would have prepared something. We probably would have had more people with nausea and vomiting or tinnitus had I tried to give my care in musical fashion. Can you imagine what clinic would be like if it were like a small musical? I may write lyrics and share them later...but until then don't hold your breath for Family Practice the the muscial opening in a theatre near you!

No comments: