The Giver is my most favorite book of all time - I think. I haven't been the most entirely well read and I have other favorites too like Voltaire, the Green Knight (a short story too), The Divine Comedy, Brave New World (similar theme) ok so the list goes on and on. I don't particularly like the very end of the story - which I won't give away for I am sure all readers will rush out to read this 22 page easy read (like 6th grade level with a higher level meaning) and it's not the point but I thought a lot about this story today and wondered what our world would be like if we lived in this type of ultra responsible, non individualized world (also without hurt and suffering), I particularly find it interesting how they "deal with"the people in society they deem are no longer contributing or do not meet the standards of society. Not that I agree whole-heartedly with the book, just interesting is all.
I had a lot of deep thoughts this afternoon. The country needs change - a lot of it. I wish we could start from scratch. Today as I was drifting while my doc was re-examining a couple patients I was contemplating what I as a healthcare provider, citizen, patient, and future mother would tell President-elect Obama in a letter? I feel like I have these great ideas that would change the way society would/could be, but who knows if they would work, I only hope that he and the next President's to come have brilliant ideas that can be put into action. Healthcare has to change. As one of my 80yr old patients put it "you have to be a dead beat to get a little help. I worked hard all my life but I can't afford to pay for my medications even though I have social security yet someone who doesn't work can get government assistance for all their needs - why did I work so hard?" He's so right. Welfare actually pays more to people who continue to have children and no work. Or the patient I had today who has "fibromyalgia" is about 250 pounds overweight and wants social security to pay for her disability? Her functional capacity forms say she can't lift her purse without intense pain but yet I watched her lift her wheelchair into the van - what? And the doc I work for let it happen - he signed the form. I was almost sick right there. Seniors can't pay for medicine, lots of people can't pay for medicine so they don't get it or take it get sick and cost taxpayer's money. And the insurance companies charge ridiculous amounts for coverage and people can't afford their copays. You would think insurance companies would want the best for patients - instead they have so much red tape, hoops and restrictions to make it as cheap as possible for them. (they may even have a celebration when patient die - no more cost to them). Maybe we should make a policy that if you aren't taking care of yourself by living healthy, making good choices and taking initiative in your healthcare then you don't deserve anything but the basics. Or maybe we should offer everyone yearly physicals/checkups to catch things earlier and actually promote wellness instead of seeing people only when sick.
Immigration doesn't give a rat's patute that the Tyson chicken plant in Garden City KS harbors so many undocumented and illegal immigrants that could fill a small university and the gov't doesn't care that instead of hiring Americans (who albeit some are too lazy to get off their rear ends and work to make a living because of a list of reasons - I digress) they went overseas and brought back workers.
So this turned into a huge vent - which wasn't the intent. I just started feeling frustrated today about the state of the country as a whole. I wonder what it would be like if people took the initiative to be a part of their own lives and health - not relying entirely on others to fix things when they go wrong. When did our society become so irresponsible?
No comments:
Post a Comment