I went to the nursing home this morning with the doc to visit the nursing home patients. Nursing homes are interesting places - usually a little grimy around the edges with some interesting people working there, oddly painted rooms and hallways, with hodge podge furniture in the rooms and then there's the myriad of smells. Sometimes it's a guessing game for the most predominant smells, but not today - as we walked through the halls the smells evolved. The first home was a mix of perfume, flowery scents, urine with a hint of pancakes and syrup. The second home was similar but more like old eggs, cinnamon transitioning into a floral scent and perhaps a hint of the gastrointestinal flu that's hit this week. Just lovely! We should bottle it, market it and sell it world wide.
Interesting highlights from the trip this morning: two small aviaries with finches in one and parakeets in the others, entertaining, group therapy today included playing with a red balloon - most residents just let the balloon hit them in the head I wish we could have stayed for the giant bouncy balls, one demented patient confused the doc with a member of the clergy - we were greeted we "I don't have any sins to confess" I was a little nervous that the longer we examined him he may begin confessing anyways, and to top off the morning, I met a lovely lady who will turn 108 this month - almost pristine condition despite her arthritis and a broken pelvis last year.
No comments:
Post a Comment