Monday, January 26, 2009

Finding Nemo

In the last 5 days of clinic I have seen more gosh darn rashes than ever - some I can identify, others, well here's a kenalog shot, hope it helps. 2 pityriasis rosea, 2 Fifth's disease of two sibling's who's mom has a viral rash too, a guy with an unknown atopic dermatitis with something else on top of it - kenalog worked, a lady with a circumferential rash on her thighs only, and the list continues but without pictures it's really not as much fun to just write about it.

By the way I love women's health but I can't find a damn cervix for the life of me - but I can do successful post-hysterectomy paps all day!

Today I had my first myasthenia gravis pt- he had an appointment after clinic today in KC with an ocular neurologist - whoever knew there was such a thing.

I also had a patient today who apparently was recovering from Strep Nemo. I tried to correct him in saying, you mean strep pneumo? No he replied, Strep Nemo, just as it's written here. He then produced a small slip of folded paper -his lab results from a bronchoscopy for a productive cough that wouldn't go away and sure enough at the bottom of the paper read streptococcus nemonia. Stunned, I wasn't sure how to react and told him I would look it up because I was unfamiliar with that type of infection. Even my doctor was stunned and unsure of what to say and no amount of rassurance that it was probably pneumo not nemo seemed to help. So tonight I am trying to find "nemo" - wish me luck!

2 comments:

EC said...

millions of boys would love to find a cervix too. In the words of their fathers, "Trust me. It will happen."

Jen B. said...

I still have problems finding the cervix too...doesn't help that I've only done one pap during this family practice rotation so far. My preceptor said I wasn't "aggressive" enough with the speculum. He has obviously never had a pap....