This morning I awoke to one of the most wonderful things ever - my husband holding a grande no water chai tea latte with a huge grin. I don't even remember falling asleep on the couch last night or texting him at 4am to say goodnight. It was chilly and rainy outside - it was the perfect wake me up this morning. But once I guzzled the chai down and he drifted off to sleep, I got that overwhelming feelings again that I need to be doing something. Not sure what but something. So I tried to be productive and I was but there was still this random feeling of something missing.
Then, out of the blue, it hit me. I'm missing St. Andrews and the sense of community.
I (or we for that matter) are not religious fanatics and I wouldn't even classify us as deeply religious - spiritual maybe but without the deepness, but we belong to an amazing church in KC. The pastor, Holly, teaches and reminds us how to be good, decent people that care about one another regardless of our roots, color or status. The church itself is considered "progressive" but the values it incorporates are really what I think life has always been about, we jost got a little lost along the way. She opens her sermons with a story and somehow winds in some biblical teachings, but if you just stopped by and heard her chat you would only hear her story of reaching out to people and making a difference. Nothing is tradiational about the building - it looks like a building you would find in Central or South America, you're greated with hand widdled chairs in a semi circle from El Salvador and a vibrant cross accompanied by a lone guitar player. I really could go on and on but I will spare everyone - words don't really capture the sentiment. Everyone is welcome, regardless of your beliefs and when you leave, there is something so sound about the "closing benediction" for lack of a better description. The last hymn is most always a toe-tapper coming from a different culture and then everyone joins hands and sings: peace before us, peace behind us, peace under our feet, peace within us, peace over us let all around us be peace.
I've looked for a place like this here in the NW to no avail, aside from family and a couple friends it's the one thing from home I miss and today for whatever reason I was really missing that piece of home.
No comments:
Post a Comment