I made it, finally, to Great Bend, KS. What? Never heard of it? It's in central KS, it's home to one of the greatest moving Christmas light decorations in the country (well at least it's on the circuit and hey it's a small town). I've never actually lived here, but my grandma does and my KS drivers license says it's my permanent address and it will be home until February 13. My mom lives here on the weekends too, so basically 3 generations of stubborn, hardheaded and strong women living in a small house that isn't much bigger than our apartment in WA with as much stuff to fill the whole street of houses. I can't complain, a lot of my stuff (like form my wedding) is here too so some of the boxes lining the single hallway belong to me. My grandma's house has a lot of great memories for me, the smell makes me nostalgic (not to be confused with nausea). I played catch with my grandpa with his old baseball glove in the front yard, I've baked with my grandma in the kitchen, here is where I learned to sew and crochet and many holiday meals eaten in the cozy dining room. There are pictures crammed onto every possible surface, my grandma is so proud of her 3 grandkids (although I swear I am her favorite - if grandmas could truly have favorites). I am so grateful to have the next 3 months here with my grandma even though I know there will be some tough days ahead and some living adjustments to be made for sure not to mention that my preceptor is her doctor and just about everyone else in the town's doctor too.
Yesterday I flew into the KC airport which is about 5-6 hours away. My mom picked me up took me to have a steak dinner and then took me shopping to get a couple more sweaters to endure the cold here that I really don't miss in the NW. We stayed a motel we stayed at when I was younger and we were fleeing home for safety. I did homework (although no Typhon yet - maybe tomorrow we can start that.) It was weird to be in my hometown even if it was for 24hrs. Everything has changed - I thought it was a large suburb before, now it's so much bigger. I didn't recognize half of the new buildings. We went to church at Shawn and my (and my mom's) home church. I wish I could transplant it to the NW. Shawn and I use to drive 3 hrs form Omaha to go on Sundays just to drive another 3hours back after closing benediction. Our pastor married us in Omaha - she drove up and back just for us - it wouldn't have been the same without her. After church we swung by Costco and picked up a couple essentials then hit the road.
I'm glad to be here with grandma - but it's not home. I miss my Shawnee and I miss the little ones. I miss my bed and the smell of our apartment. I miss the weather and my snuggle time - there is nothing that can replace snuggle time, not even my miniature hippo dowsed in cologne. Shawn is visiting his parents over Turkey day, I really hopes he can swing down 8hrs away and see his wifey, that would be amazing.
I'm ready for tomorrow, don't know what to expect but I am ready to start this rotation, 6weeks at a time. Good Night Zuppie, I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment