Thursday, November 20, 2008
Special Delivery
My phone rang at 9pm last night - it was the doc telling me our OB pt wasn't dilated more than 2 - maybe tomorrow "we'll get a baby out of the deal" (one of my docs commonly used phrases). I went to bed around 11 and my phone rang again at 12:20 - "she at 9." I said" let me throw some clothes on and I'll be right up" (in retrospect this sentence doesn't sound good in or out of context, but hey I was rocked mid-sleep cycle). I wasn't sure what to wear but threw on a pair of corduroy pants, a nice shirt and my dress shoes. I was there and in the room by 12:30 - not too shabby. I go changed into my scrubs - which looked ridiculous with my brown dress shoes and pink and white argyle socks showing from my buckle shoes, and my hair was a dry-sweat mess from the workout earlier in the evening (would have taken a shower but grandma didn't want me using any new towels until the next day since she just washed them and didn't want a single dirty towel). The mom-to be looked radiant, you wouldn't even know she was in labor. After 2 hours of pushing and a grade 3-4 episiotomy out popped a beautiful 8.5# little girl (much bigger than anyone thought). I was scrubbed in, but didn't do anything but massage the uterus after delivery for about 10 seconds. Oh well, I've helped deliver a couple before - but it would have been cool. The new dad almost lost it and passed out when the birthing coach had him look at the head of hair popping out of his girlfriend. I just can't imagine delivering babies gets old. How fun. The new parents were in shock and awe - new dad talking on the phone to his basketball buds - "it was just insane! the whole thing just crazy! I have a little girl." I may have been exhausted to make a house call at 7:15 this morning to a quad with hemorrhoids the size of a small head of cauliflower - no joke, but it was totally worth it to be there early this morning to watch the family pace as they waited for the first grandbaby and the expectant parents finding strength and endurance and bonding with their new little one. sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment