Tuesday, November 25, 2008

moving up in the world

Full day of clinic topped off with a delivery just after the last patient. Great timing if I do say so myself. It was baby #3 for the lady who did it without an epidural woohoo! what a stud. Beautiful baby girl. Had I known I would have been a more active participant in this delivery than the last I would have 1. worn a mask - asked where they were. 2. asked for some shoes covers and 3 dried my hands a little better after scrubbing. But it wasn't until my preceptor said "put your hands there" that I realized it was too late for the above mentioned items. So I can't complain that when I was drawing cord blood and I withdrew the needle I was spurted on my pink socks - I'm just glad they weren't my argyle ones. No one seemed to notice and when I changed I took off my socks and stuffed them in my pockets. I didn't deliver the babe myself, caught the butt and tugged and delivered the placenta. yay. I think I am moving up in the world.

I reaffirmed some of my feelings about parenting and life in general I guess with someone of my patients today. 1. a hyperactive 15 month old child (and overweight by about 30lbs) should not be fed candy to try and calm him down, really it doesn't help the matter - no wonder he doesn't like to eat veggies, and no smarties do not count as a food group (seriously who feeds a 15month candy?). 2. just because your friend's sister is a RN and has fibromyalgia doesn't mean that you, a 55 year old male has it too especially since you have no trigger points and the numbness and tingling in your toes and legs are more likely attributed to your uncontrolled DM (believe me fasting sugars between 160-220 are NOT controlled). and 3. Medication for depression only solves part of the problem as do medications for hypertension and hyperlipids - you actually have to make some effort to help yourself. pt "no I don't have to eat well or exercise they have medicines for that" hmmm. I bit my tongue to not say anything too off color or chastise them and 4. you know you smoke too much when the papers you bring in to show the doc smell so badly of cigarette smoke it makes the hallway and room smell too.

I didn't get to see the dogs play today, I'm bummed, but I do get to see Shawn tomorrow!!
www.barkzone.com

No comments: