i think I am still catching up form my last rotation - actually I know I am, I feel like I am dragging, in fact I think it's showing too. I didn't know what to expect day 1. Everyone seems to know my grandma (and I am sure if I wasn't her granddaughter they'd all give me her opinion about her). Expectations were sort of explained to me, but there are still lots of questions I have about what to expect. These week is getting to know the ropes, where things are and get an idea about the schedule (which changes everyday). Tomorrow rounds at 7am, CME meeting at 7:30, clinic at 8, Kiwanis at 12-1 and then off to the nursing home in an even smaller town to see a few patients, we may even have a housecall. We do lots of neat things in the clinic (like our own treadmill this am and I will get to help deliver a baby in the next week)- I am hoping I will snap out of my funk and be able to take it all in - there is still no way of knowing when I will get to be on my own - I think he thinks I don't know anything. He tells me what EVERY drug is, even the obvious ones. I am the 1st PA student he's ever had, but are the NP students he's had really that dense? He wants to try giving me one type of patient at a time, one week all the HTN, then DM then sore throats and cough etc and I will be dictating my little (well big right now) butt off.
A long story short about the the "scandal" going on in the town right now: the current hospital (which is three circles smooshed together) is run by the Dominican Sisters. Nothing against the Catholics but lets face it, in some areas they aren't willing to be progressive (if that's really the correct word) on some issues and dealings. There are other issues too but it anyways... So some of the docs in town, including my preceptor, decided hey, we opened a surgical center across town a few years ago, so why not just make it into another hospital - on our own. (scary doom music enters) And so they did, well have started too. Today's clinic was interrupted from 11-1 when we were suppose to go to the building site , the docs were going to sign the last beam to go up on the building frame have a BBQ and enjoy the company of one another - sounds like fun! And I am sure it would have been had it not been 30 degrees outside, overcast and blowing wind since it was outside in a temporary circus -like tent not tied down and without heat. Thank goodness I grabbed my coat, hat and scarf.
And by the way my grandmother just yelled "dicks" as in Ft. Dix for her crossword puzzle she's doing right now. I've never heard her shout answers out before, this could become very entertaining. Off to catch up on Typhon and more homework. I worked out tonight, it felt great not to workout but to burn off some stress, homesickness and any other pent up things. Oh and 1 week to our 2year anniversary.
No comments:
Post a Comment