Thursday, April 9, 2009

5% and 95%

Actual ER emergencies last night versus the percent of urgent care/family practice visit last night. The guy who almost whacked his finger off last night that I sewed back together after squishing all the sub q fat back in - that was an emergency. Gal with a 104 temp and super crappy lungs sounds - major raging pneumonia - emergency. 60yr old something guy with COPD, CHF in resp failure - lungs full on the CXR looks super dusky - brought in by squad - um yes, emergency (I was secretly hoping in my dark dark world that he would crump and I could tube him, but in retrospect he was a bigger guy, with a small airway - might not have been a fun tube, so I guess I'm glad he didn't crump and need intubated - and because that would obviously be bad for the patient). Ummm, otitis media in an 11yr at 4m - not an emergency. 1st yr college freshman who wrote on twitter she was suicidal, police check on her, she denied denied denied then called them back 10min later and says "the answer to your last question is yes" she needs medicated and 30days inpatient - not so much an emergency. Oh my back has been hurting for 2 weeks or my ear started hurting 20min ago, or i bumped my knee getting out of the car dropping my friend off - not emergencies. Perhaps tonight will be better. Maybe I should stir up some ruckus before I go in tonight so we can turn those percentages around a little.

No comments: