Monday, April 6, 2009

It's the great pumpkin

I arrived in OH last evening and after taking it up the backside from the car rental company at the airport I somehow made my way into Circleville through the tornado watch, thunderclaps and flashes of lightening. I did manage to get lost - but manged to be lost within the city limits - and only blocks away from my host family. I'm staying with a retired military couple named Bob and Mary. A devout Roman Catholic couple who were/are LPNs - he works at the VA in Chilicothe part time. Wonderful people and have some amazing personal medical stories they've shared with me! I am super lucky! A warm comfy bed, my own little bathroom with the most lovely shower head. There's a clock that chimes hourly with Christmas tunes, and one that just chimes, there's their dog that barks and growls every time I look at it or enter the same room - but Molly means no harm - she did the same to the two sisters (nuns) that stayed here not too long ago - she really hated their long grey habits. There's a crucifix in every room, and a picture of Jesus or Mary or both including the Pope in every room. There are 2 stoves and two ranges - one that works and one that doesn't. The house is immaculate. There's a cat that lives in the basement for allergy sake - Herbert P Ninninger is his name(their autistic grandson named him). But everyone calls the cat baby boy or sherbert. It's going to be a great 6weeks!

I went to work this morning at 8am, only to be told come back tomorrow somewhere between 7 and 10ish to start work. The big questions from everyone this morning - is there another student? Where is she? Do you know when she'll be here? I wanted to say - damnit I'm not her babysitter - I don't know. But I didn't, I just said - we're not staying at the same place, I'm not sure of her current whereabouts. (End of story.) So I came "home" and ate a banana drank some juice then took a 3 hr nap. Talk about a lazy day! Then Bob took me for a tour of the Round Town (circleville)and pointed out the places to eat if I was interested and places to avoid and some of the history of the town. He also showed me the 4block walk to get to the hospital - so needless to say I will be returning my car and not renting another. So very excited about this!! I also got to see the giant pumpkin water tower and am sad I wasn't here in Oct for the great Pumpkin show.

The cute thing about this couple - he calls his wife gorgeous an she calls him babes. lovely. Bob likes to watch the Bachelorette and he calls stop lights: stop and go lights.

One other quick story - Bob called me Sat to make sure I was still coming. It was just before 8am west coast time. Half awake I said: "Oh I'm glad you called, I was going to give you a ring today."
"Give me ring today?" he asked puzzled. "Why would you give me ring?" he continued.
"well I was going to ring you up later today" doing my best to clarify what I thought was the obvious meaning.
"What do you mean ring me up?" he replied
Finally, after wiping the sleep from my eye I said "call you, I was going to call you later today."
"Oh." was the only response.
I later realized that if you are going to clarify something - don't use the same word which was confusing in the first place.

No comments: