Saturday, April 18, 2009

PEAs, carrots and rebar

PEAs, carrots and rebar = good night for Jenni. Recap of these and others.
1. lady mowing her lawn feel a stick hit her in her leg, looks down it's apiece of rebar in her leg - naturally she pulls it out only to realize hmmm it went all the way through and hit her other ankle-she pulled harder and called the squad. Soft tissue only, nothing chipped or broken - she's actually very lucky it didn't go to her chest or head - doubt she could have pulled it out then. Closed the entrance and exit holes.
2.70ish guy slumped over cold at home, wife pumps on chest, calls 911. Squad comes, starts running code - all the hospital he's asystolic we're 6minutes out. 2-3 minutes later, pulse of 45, with a pressure, as they are pulling up - he's starting to wake up. He's tubed already *darn* rate of 150, trying to pull tube, put him down with vec and versed. can't find a femoral for the ABG, maybe because he doesn't have a pressure - oh and now no carotid - multi focal PVCs and a bradycardia - PEA... atropine and bicarb and some more epi - now we have a pulse.... back and forth - PEA and then a perfusing rhythm - for like 2 hrs. Call life flight - codes, they arrive, he's back, pressure too crappy to take him even with his max dose of levafed, dopamine, 3 atropines. numerous epis. Time to let him go.
3. lady slicing carrots - oops that's not carrot that's my finger - needs four stitches.
4. Oh look stairs I think I'll forget how to walk - rip open my knee (and I steal the suture job from the med student - right under her nose) 9 mattress
5. young guy: my legs hurts and is all red - had a spider bite there so I dug around with a safety pin and it drained... not a spider bite - abscess with cellulitis - I&D and packing
6. 18yr girl - I can feel a string coming out of my girl parts, it must be an emergency - it's 11pm on Sat night... oh wait that's my IUD, I forgot.
And this is my short night - I love the ER.