Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Vulture

So, tomorrow the vulture lands in Circleville and is then apparently off to mass. I am hoping the vulture doesn't come over for dinner. So for now she is circling, hovering, waiting until the fresh meat of tomorrow. Oh boy I can't wait - as the pit in my stomach grows larger. I'm not sure who frightens me more - the vulture or old-ex pageant karma lady at the hospital. And lucky me I get both of the tomorrow.



Pt crumped this morning - after cardioversion (back into sinus) - I couldn't get the tube - he was still gasping for breaths and fighting me but I didn't feel badly because the doc couldn't either and then he started breathing on his own, then he lost a pulse, then the breathing and back and forth and so on. With an EJ fraction of 25% (normal is 55-60%) it was bound to happen, 4 months ago he was given 6months - and today was his day. Afib with RVR, BP in the 50's and 60's. He looked like hell. I'm just glad it was the cardiologist who just happen to be in the ER decided to cardiovert. After 50 different family members passed through and lingered and lingered (I'm all for goodbyes - but seriously one of the creepiest dead ones I've seen - eyes still open and fixed and mouth open like he was gasping for air) he was taken by the men in black.

Closed a great eyebrow lac in an older guy who popped himself in the glasses with some sort of power wrench and had to tell a sweet older lady that her rib pain was due to a giant mass found on CT in her lung with a little pneumonitis behind it. What a day.