Saturday, April 11, 2009

Random

Random post while I am anxiously awaiting my computer date with Shawn. I took today off, I am working tomorrow to avoid any awkwardness of celebrating Easter with my host family. They're nice people and all but just felt awkward thinking about trying to fit into their Easter celebration plus they had fmaily come into town. Easter is my favorite holiday - everything is new and refreshed.
I walked to work for the time yesterday - nice easy walk and when I got off this morning I even felt like jogging - so I did - with my bookbag and a ginormous - not exaggerating - umbrella that Bob dropped off at the hospital for me since the forecast suggested rain. Very nice - I guess I could have really clobbered someone or thing that tried to get near me on my walk home. The walk is well lit I can't decide just how far it is, but it was very refreshing this morning walking home with the birds chirping and the very beginnings of light began to shine from the horizon with the full moon not having set.
Halfway on my walk to work I realized I forgot my hair tie. damn. No worries I had an extra in my bag. I realize today that my hair tie is probably 3 or 4 times as stretchy as my last hair tie from the same batch. It may sound trivial but there is a precisely calculated amount of stretch needed to make a good ponytail. Too little stretch and you can actually disconnect the actual rubber band inside the covering - it's a strange phenomena if you've never needed a hair tie - but trust me it happens and if you have too much stretch like before mentioned hair tie it doesn't really hold that great of a pony tail without many many twists - so like a I said a fine balance. I may have to find my hold hair tie before my shift in the morning.
I met my host family's son, daughter in law (whose name is Bradley - long but interesting story for another time) and their son who has aspergers. He leads a very sheltered life and is apparently hypersensitive to red dye called lake -41 or something like that. He looked at me like a very big 7yr old, but I was feeling homesick and not in the mood to play dog pile on the rabbit or pillow whomp - but I did settle to play Chinese checkers (I tried ot lose but really beat both the kid nad his mom quite badly). He has no concept of personal space - but that's the aspergers and introduced to me all 9 of the mini stuffed animals - most of them beanie babies and told me what animal, their name (which 7/9 were the actual animal name, the white tiger's name was tiger - go figure) then he demonstrated their behavior, the sounds they make and then went on a long diatribe asking what percent of their behavior was wild as he demonstrated how they played together.
Well it's about that time. Off to work tomorrow - but only 10 hrs - not too shabby of a day!

No comments: