Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter blues

It's Easter Sunday and I am 2200 miles away from home - enough to bring me to tears today when one of the docs said - oh and you're away from home on Easter - bummer. I excused myself and dried my eyes. Today was insanely busy - and for a holiday! Everyone decided to do one of 3 things today: 1. respiratory failure, 2. MI, 3. Stroke, there were a few non emergent visits today too but really all emergencies ( my favorite - whom I didn't actually see myself: severe sepsis, possibly having an MI and nearing respiratory failure. The doc wasn't all that sure what else to do and what drugs to use - so I printed her off the 6hr bundle to make sure all those things had been ordered which was great because she totally told the RN on the floor that if she *the RN* wouldn't start dopamine when his pressure was dropping to 54/22 that it would be her fault if he died or sent him into septic shock.).

Squads from all over were bringing in the sickies. That made me miss my Shawnee more. He works his tail off at work. Being a paramedic is really a thankless job for the most part. He does all the dirty work- he's the first chance at saving someone outside a hospital and yet there is no recognition for the hard work, quick thinking and life saving he does. If there was ever an emergency - it's him I would want to come to my rescue. In fact if I ever have an emergency I would request him. But even though his job is thankless most days, I appreciate all that he does and I am so proud of him. I wish he would jump on here and write but maybe he doesn't need an outlet or maybe he forgot the password. This blog was intended to tell our story - but I have really clogged it up with all about me. I guess it's how I vent and recap the day so when I talk to Shawn our conversations don't totally revolve around it. My life feels like it is consumed by school already, the last thing I want to do is chit chat about my boring day - it all seems so uneventful and mundane. It's been nice to go back though and read my stories from the beginning of this journey until now. Although not much has changed - I seem to complain a lot about everything and don't spend nearly enough time about my family - whom I have spent 80% of my time away from this year.
So after a very very long 10hrs - my butt didn't hit the chair once today (doesn't help that the two docs on today are totally chatting Cathy's), I hiked home just in time for grilled burgers with the host fam and their son's family. They were good but no match for Shawn's burgers - he is the grill master! So I am off to rest, I am too sad to do homework or hang out watching religious TV(or the actual name is God TV) so resting sounds good, with my smelly hippo.