I did my first snip and clip today - it was awesome!! Actually it was very very nerve racking-and in the end it was awesome. Whomever dreamt up that little contraption was a genius (and nuts!!) - I just want to know who volunteered their little boy to try it out. And I will never look at safety pins the same again. What a truly intricate and delicate process and yet barbaric all the same - very strange. I'm not sure if I was more nervous putting the block in and praying I hit the right spot- studies have shown that blocks are incorrectly placed a good percentage of the time and are therefore ineffective. My preceptor made one joke with me today when I was too nervous to do the whole block myself without seeing it done first- I'll do one half, you do the other he said - then we'll see who did theirs right. The kiddo didn't sleep through it but didn't fuss during the "painful" parts - only when he lost his sugar water binky -so my block worked. I wish I could invent some little tool to help ensure all the remnants after initial detachment are actually gone before detaching the contraption itself - I think I was more nervous about the scalpel slipping and stabbing the little guy or my finger as I "cleaned the edges" of any leftover debris. Here's a website if you're dying to read more about it and see the procedure. I had never really thought about what we;ll do when we have kids and if we have a boy but I've had 2 little boys ages 3 and 7 who were not circ'd at birth and have had massive infections because of it and had the procedure done at those respective ages - bummer. http://www.intact.ca/vidintro.htm. All in all after all was said, done, snipped clipped and bagged as a souvenir I thought, that's a good looking circ - I think he will appreciate that later in life.

In other non-circ news - Creighton isn't dancing this year - they were robbed of their dancing shoes hopefully they don't blow it in the NIT - although they came darn close tonight against Bowling Green. sheesh.
No comments:
Post a Comment