Friday, March 6, 2009

Whatever you do, don't drop it

Morning flew by, I'm getting a little more independent although the preceptor never believes my findings, then decides that my plan will do just fine. It's 1pm, still have morning pts to see and we get a call there's a C-section planned for 2. Doc usually only goes to primary sections or secondary ones that are not during clinic hours but this case was a little unique. Mom was 25weeks pregnant last year or so when her car was T-boned crushing her pelvis and the twins she was carrying. The twins did not survive the trauma in utero and mom nearly died of blood loss. Today is the same due date as her twins and the birthday of her new beautiful little baby. So we decided we should be there for the c-section. (we also learned she was pre-eclamptic had a raging headache with vision changes and contracting every 1-2min - so despite the fact it was during clinic hours, it needed to be done now not later). "ever seen a C-section?" Why yes, I said, I actually got to first assist one last summer, very cool. "Wanna catch?" ummm ok. So waiting for mom to get draped and prepped, I was introduced to several people including the neonatal RN, the OB, and some other lady in charge of the L&D staff. All of whom gave me the same advice: whatever you do, don't drop the baby. (duh I thought, wasn't planning to).

I'm scrubbed and draped myself waiting for the handoff (after a mock walk-through with the doc to make sure I knew how to walk over to the warmer and not trip, fall and drop the baby.) Then I heard a beautiful cry, my tears welled in my eyes and then the OB plopped the chunky newborn in my arms and I ran him in for a touchdown in the warmer with no fumbles!! I dried him, assessed him and then got to wrap him off and congratulate the new dad (who was slowly regaining colors in his cheeks and now up from sitting on the floor) and I handed the new addition over to his arms. It was beautiful. I wonder if I surprised anyone that I managed to hold on to the 8+pound kiddo - do they have a lot of students drop newborns? Births never get old, never. (and I think I will always get teary-eyed)

Now I am procrastinating doing 2 presentations I have to give tomorrow for the EMS refresher. uggg...

No comments: